I think that a lot of people were expecting the patch to drop this week due to the extended maintenance, but looks like that wasn’t the case. I’m actually fine with that, myself, since I’m not quite ready for flying yet. I just haven’t gotten around to all that treasure hunting stuff that I need for that stinkin’ achievement. Primarily because I’m having fun playing alts, but also because work is slave-driver as of late.
I do find myself idly wondering when the patch is gonna drop and also when the next expansion is gonna drop. Blizzard has repeatedly said that they don’t want another year-long content drought, and yet if they don’t get the expansion out soon they’re gonna have one!
When do YOU guys think the expansion is coming out?
Overall I’m happy with the patch. I think it added just about the right amount of new stuff without going overboard or anything. There are two things that are less than perfect, however, and those are:
1. WHATEVER THE HECK BLIZZARD DID TO MY POOR SALVAGE YARD – Oh yay… more scrap to sell for 50 silver or whatever…
2. BOAT MISSIONS THAT TAKE TWO DAYS. – I get that Blizzard is trying to be “realistic” here but come on. Two days, really? Especially when I only have seven boats in my fleet? I love boats and I want more of them and I want them doing more missions. MORE MISSIONS.
So yeah. I like the rest of the patch, though. I’ve heard some people say that Tanaan feels grindy but it really doesn’t, to me? It feels like just the right amount of daily quests and things to do. And of course I am IN LOVE with Timewalking.
But those damn two-day boat missions and my poor, poor salvage yard.
So as I mentioned in my last post, a bug went live with the patch meaning that Focus Fire quit working completely. Oops. Pretty bad for us Beast Masters, especially seeing as Focus Fire optimization is kind of a major chunk of our DPS.
The good news is that Blizzard is aware of this and a hotfix is in testing. Granted, I have no idea when that’s actually going to go live in the game… but… official word is nice, yes?
In the meantime you may want to respec if you have to do some serious raiding (Marksmanship seems to be looking good), or, if you’re stubborn like me, just stick with it.
In the meantime, TIMEWALKING IS LIVE GO GO GOGOGOGO
…is basically the same as it was before. Let’s take a closer look.
Aspect of the Fox is gone. I used it on occasion but usually forgot it existed. So /shrug
Tranquilizing Shot is now on a cooldown, unless you are glyphed. Whether you prefer to use the glyph or not probably comes down to your own personal preference and the encounter.
And that’s it! That’s it for Beast Mastery, unless you PvP, in which case you will notice that A Murder of Crows and Barrage now do less damage to player characters. Not very fun, no, but whatcha gonna do. We’re hunters, so we’re just gonna keep moseying along.
Now remember, things haven’t changed for us, really, but things may have changed for other classes and specs. Marksmanship got a buff to Aimed Shot and a lot of the other classes were tweaked, so Beast Masters may not see themselves in the same spot on Recount. We’ll just have to see how things shuffle out.
AS AN ASIDE, I’m seeing a few theorycrafting places report that Steady Focus is now preferable over Dire Beast. I may have to test this and then report back. Either way it should be close, so personally I wouldn’t fault you for using either talent.
**EDIT**: I have been informed in the comments that Focus Fire appears to be bugged. My own quick testing seems to be confirming that it’s not acting right. So stay tuned for that and be aware!
Specifically I had a dream that I was doing Violet Hold (which isn’t one of the ones we’re getting but bear with me) and that I was a moonkin? Yeah I don’t get it either.
I swear this Timewalking thing is just for me. Like, Blizzard heard my prayers and floated down from the heavens to give this to me. I just, guys, look at this. Look at this list.
Burning Crusade – The Arcatraz, The Black Morass, Mana-Tombs, The Shattered Halls, The Slave Pens
Wrath of the Lich King – Ahn’kahet: The Old Kingdom, Gundrak, Halls of Lightning, The Nexus, Utgarde Pinnacle
Just looking at this list makes my heart swell three sizes. All the time spent in every one of these dungeons… all that time, all those memories. Burning Crusade and Wrath of the Lich King, you guys. Those were MY expansions. That is World of Freaking Warcraft, Pike Edition.
I am just, I am so excited, I wish I could express how excited I am. Don’t botch this up, Blizz.
So yeah. PATCH 6.2. Let’s talk about it. What are you looking forward to? Because um, I’m basically looking forward to the whole thing.
It looks like Blizzard has had a change of heart (or a change of sub numbers, perhaps…) and flying is coming back. Not long after the next patch, too. Granted, in order to earn flying you have to do a sort of weird grindy runaround which hearkens back to previous grindy expacs like TBC (getting revered with a faction before doing their heroics, anyone?) but on the other hand I already have Loremaster of Draenor and I’ve already done the vast majority of the bonus objectives so I don’t think tearing down the rest of the busywork will be that bad for me.
I have talked before about fighting the Anxiety Raid Boss, which is something I’m working on slowly overcoming. Now 6.2 is still a ways off, so this might be an early call, but I can see at least three things in it that are shaping up to potentially be good news for those of us who continue to struggle with gaming anxiety in WoW. Here’s what I’m seeing:
1. More Solo and/or Small Group Stuff: This is coming in two flavors: garrisons and Tanaan Jungle. First, garrisons. I realize that opinions on garrisons have been somewhat divided, mostly over the “it takes you away from the world” point. Frankly, though, and I don’t know about you guys, but I like having a sort of “quiet zone” available in game where I can do solo things by my lonesome every so often. Garrisons are perfect for that!
Next: Tanaan Jungle. An all new ZONE to solo! Or duo! I love duo’ing stuff with Mister Pike.
2. Timewalking Is Hugely Comforting: Scared of trying heroics because you’ve never done them before? Don’t worry – here are some “heroics” that you HAVE done before! The idea of doing a dungeon that I already know very well and am familiar with – and possibly getting gear upgrades from! – is really soothing to my anxiety riddled mind. Some people have been knocking this for being “recycled content”, but some for some of us these are actually going to be a huge enhancement to our WoW experience, whether because of anxiety, nostalgia, or both.
3. Mythic Dungeons, For Those Who Like Smaller Groups: If it’s not the heroics that set your anxiety off, but the raids instead, then Mythic Dungeons are looking to be a great alternative. Go in with four friends for a smaller and more personal environment that still provides upgrades.
So yeah. It’s still early, of course, but good things are on the horizon!
Patch 6.2 has hit the PTR and Aspect of the Fox is being removed. I don’t really have any personal opinions on this. Aspect of the Fox was always that weird situational aspect that I never used anyway – originally because it wasn’t as good as Hawk, and now because I usually forget it exists. (I always did find it amusing that Blizzard opted to take away situational utility Aspects like Wild in order to replace them with, well… more situational utility Aspects like Fox, but hey.)
Anyways, the main thing now is that we are left with two Aspects: Cheetah and Pack. I don’t think those are going away anytime soon, but a rename wouldn’t surprise me since Aspects appear to be basically done. Never fear! There will always be Aspect of the Hare. Right?
Anyways, as of right now the more interesting hunter tidbit is this one:
…which is probably not going to be the live numbers, but hey, I can dream of a neverending Bestial Wrath, right?